In high school and college, students are often tasked with writing a movie review assignment. Although most students feel happy when asked to review a movie that they have watched and liked, most also fail to get good scores. Writing a review of a film may seem easy when the student knows the movies, but the elements of a good film review are challenging. A good movie review goes beyond the narration of what happens on the screen. It divulges into the more in-depth details of the film. Do not worry, AccessEssay gives you a complete guide on how to write a film review, as well as help in writing a movie review. First, the complete guide to writing a good movie review requires the students to know the purpose.
1. High Quality for Grade A
2. Timely Delivery
3. Zero Plagiarism
4. Privacy and Security
5. Free Amendments
- Purpose of Movie Review
- Steps On How to Write a Good Movie Review
- Format for A Good Movie Review
- Six Core Elements
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid When Writing a Good Film Review
- Need Help with Writing
Purpose of Movie Review
The core function of writing a movie review is to inform the audience about the film, its ideas, and how the events on-screen reveal those ideas. In simpler words, you identify the ideas of the movie and then explain how what we see on screen communicate those ideas, simple. While a movie review allows writers to express their opinions about the film, there is a need for an unbiased and objective approach. So, the writer must combine the aspect of objective and unbiased approach when writing.
Secondly, focus on a specific element, character, scene, or plot, among others. Whenever the review targets a specific element, the review must also focus on the specific aspect. Writing a movie review about elements not required in the assignment would also hinder getting a full score. Nevertheless, a movie review should be detailed enough to assist in making an honest decision.
Thirdly, a movie review may be required as a tool for testing the students’ critical thinking. While many students can watch a movie and narrate how it goes, few can think beyond the scenes to explain the inner details. So, why is this type of paper a common school assignment? Teachers and lecturers use a review of a film assignment to test students’ critical thinking level. They also test your skills on what is a good movie review, and whether you can apply those aspects. Thus, a review of a film assignment tests the student’s ability to think and analyze the plot and characters.
Furthermore, movie reviews also involve the analysis of events that happened in a documentary or “regular” film. Reviews test writing and vocabulary skills, adapting to different genres and events they portray and reports it in a cohesive, logical, and exciting manner. So, having understood the purpose of movie reviews, let us explore the steps for writing a good movie review.
Steps On How to Write a Good Movie Review
First, before beginning the writing, you must understand that a good movie review is easy to write and does not involve extensive research on other materials. Everything you need for the film review is within the movie. So, step one.
Step 1: Watch the movie passionately:
Do not watch the movie like someone already looking for answers. Nevertheless, watch the movie like you like it and trying to understand the flow, characters, and their behaviors, or even the storyline. An excellent way to know whether you have watched the movie correctly is by checking whether you can narrate to your friend, the story, scenes, and characters.
Step 2: Research necessary information to support what you already know.
Once you have watched the movie and able to narrate it accurately to someone or your friend, do some research. For instance, you can explain to your friend what happened in Deadpool 1 movie, how the story went, and even how Ryan Reynolds does his things. So, now research on the internet who wrote that movie, filmmaker, his/her intentions, plot, scenes, character selection, characterization, and locations, among others. For instance, you already watched and knew that Ryan wore a Spiderman-like suite and had long sharp knives, so research to understand why this costume was used.
Step 3: Draft the movie review:
Once you have watched and researched, write a draft about the filmmaker, his goals, why he/she chose a specific character, scene, plot, location, or costume. Include examples of claims you make about the movie. If the plot has holes, then mention an example of a situation or scene when that was evident. Also, if the character(s) is poorly developed or bad casting affected the movie quality, name examples too. Provide examples when commenting on dialogues, locations, plot, everything. If you want the reader to agree with you, it is essential to back up your claims with evidence. You do not want to make it seem like you are praising or criticizing the movie without any reason whatsoever.
Step 4: Critique the movie:
the final and most important aspect of writing a good movie review is to critique the information you have identified. A critique of a movie is a simple process of identifying whether an element of the movie fulfilled the intended purpose; if not, what would you suggest or recommend. For instance, in the Deadpool movie, Ryan’s suit could intend to portray him as a deadly and swift fighter or to show the theme of an unmatched killer. So, when critiquing the movie, explain whether you think the scene or plot fulfilled the purpose intended by the filmmaker.
Step 5: Use examples:
throughout the review, remember that a good movie review must illustrate the specific examples or elements mentioned. Here use names of characters, mention the specific plot or scene. Give actual examples of elements of the film that are necessary when writing a good movie review. Remember! If you want to persuade your readers to agree with you, try to back your claims with evidence. Make sure your readers get the perception that you are objective while reviewing.
Format for A Good Movie Review
Most students often face the challenge of how to organize a movie review even when they have mastered all the steps for reviewing a film. Sometimes you may meet all the above steps for writing, but fail to organize your information. So, this format for a good film review should help you. However, if it does not, AccessEssay is here to help you.
Movie Review Format
|Introduction:||Includes the title, release date, director, and any other background information you find worth mentioning. Get help writing an introduction, here.|
|Summary:||A review of a movie begins with first summarizing its content the way you would explain to someone what the film is all about. Also, this is the point where you narrate what happened on the screens.|
|Plot Analysis:||This is the comprehensive analysis of the movie based on the plot. What is a plot of a movie or film; it is the sequence of events that occur to characters in situations at the beginning, middle, and end of the story/film/movie. Also, it is the analysis of the story from how it begins, rising to a climax, falling action, and resolution/end.|
|Creative elements:||What are the creative elements of a movie? They include the dialogues, characters, use of colors, camera techniques, mood, tone, symbols, costumes, or anything that contributes or takes away from the overall plot.|
|Critique:||Give your opinions or criticisms of the movie based on how the creative elements and plot support the themes and objectives of the filmmaker and director.|
Six Core Elements
- The title of the movie/film – just because your headline features the name of the movie or documentary it does not mean we should skip mentioning it in the text. Always name the movie in the introductory paragraph.
- Summary – the whole point of the review is to summarize the documentary or movie for people who have not watched it yet. So, always assume that the audience or professor has not watched the movie and intends to have a full understanding by reading your film review. Again, saying you liked or disliked it is not a viable comment. Your critique or opinion has to be supported by specific reasons and examples.
- Filmmaker – do a little research on the person who directed the piece. Is that person a controversial figure? Is he/she known for a political stance? Does the filmmaker have a significant background? Devote a paragraph or two to the person behind the movie and their other works in order to establish the significance of the film you are reviewing for the director’s career
- Significance to your class – How does the content of the documentary or film fit into your course topic? Is it necessary for historical accuracy? If you are watching the motion picture for history class, make a note of over-dramatization. Sometimes writing a movie review would focus on testing you analytic skills.
- Creative elements – filmmakers work hard to select the best creative elements that would portray the intended message and themes. So what is a good movie review? It includes the creative elements of character, costumes, locations, camera misc-en-scene, sound, lighting, and many others.
- Actors – let us not forget the casting! Were the actors realistic? Did they portray the role of a specific character successfully? Did they have good acting skills? Do you believe that some particular actor was the right fit for the role?
8 Mistakes to Avoid When Writing a Good Film Review
- Failing to review the movie: What is film review? It is a detailed summary and analysis of the creative elements and plot of the movie or film. When writing a review about a movie, do not just summarize what you saw on screen. So, do not narrate the movie, review it.
- Putting yourself in the movie: as mentioned earlier, take an objective and unbiased position without reflecting on your personal feelings and fist person pronoun.
- Failing to do research: When tasked with writing a review of a movie you know correctly, you may attempt to do it. Regardless of how well you know the movie, do some research to verify your knowledge and understand the exact details.
- Failing to justify your critique or opinions. It is essential to critique or give your opinion on the movie. However, you must support your argument or provide adequate justification for why you think like that.
- Talking about irrelevant aspects of the movie. For instance, you may find an action movie where two actors may fall in love or engage in some romance. However, it is often clear that such scenes are not crucial in expressing either the theme or objectives of the movie. Thus, do not dwell in insignificant parts of the movie.
- Failing to use a structure. One of the features of a good movie review is the proper structure and flow of information. AccessEssay will help in writing your movie review using the best structure.
- Writing generalities such as great acting, cool effects, a good movie, it was not very nice
- Writing a review without substance or analysis of the creative features.
Need Help with Writing
Like other types of writing, movie reviews require patience and time. Being a student is not the most straightforward task in the world, and you do not have enough time to dedicate to one assignment only while neglecting others. Thus, there is no need to sweat over it, let AccessEssay help you. We have a team of professional writers with long-term experience in writing a good movie review. At AccessEssay, you can hire essay writers who will complete your movie review and any other type of assignment.
A movie review is about the equilibrium of unbiased reports and personal opinion. While it is okay to say what you think about the movie, you also have to approach certain aspects objectively to help the reader get a better understanding of the motion picture. Finding the balance between subjective and objective writing can be frustrating, which is why professional service comes handy. Please provide a title, information, your opinion, and a pro writer takes it from there. Our essay writing service has helped thousands of other students who cannot keep up with constant demands in school or college, but they do not want to jeopardize their grades.
Essay editing service: sometimes, students do not need help with the writing process, but they need someone to edit it. Please do not ask your friends and family members to do it for you, hire professionals at AccessEssay. Improve your paper. Raise your grades! Editors and proofreaders from AccessEssay will correct grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation mistakes, check the style, formatting, organization and other aspects of your work to boost its quality
Get Movie Review Help